Friday, September 11, 2009

...hmm

[Side note: strange to think it's been 8 years since 9/11. I was driving to the hospital my intern year and remember hearing it on the radio - when I got to work everyone had the TVs on. Most things in the area were shut down, but us docs were obviously on edge for whatever might come next. I know many of us were directly or closely affected with friends, family or colleagues. So before I potentially fall into any social commentary, I'll just take a moment to remember...]

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Met with a friend/mentor today for brunch. We'll call him Uncle P. He's both an old family friend and a past supervisor during my residency. Like a fun uncle, he's full of stories and sage advice. Besides work-chat, he reminded me of the struggle to balance the ideas of commitment, idealism and perfection. That is, some people's ideals and goals of perfection prevent a jump to commitment. You know, like something shouldn't be done unless it'll come out perfectly or 100%. We all know those types. (Myself included? Naw.)

It can sometimes be a struggle to not see realistic expectations as a compromise or lowering of standards; life has to be what it is and not what we imagine it to be.

That's a convoluted way of saying I have to be realistic about things (but hopeful is okay); and also make sure others are realistic about what I can offer them and be for them. Projecting our stuff on others can be just as difficult as them projecting their ideals on us.

WHEW! Geeze maybe too much talking was going on with Uncle P. But it hit home.

Hmm. Well, in other news, I have a girl-story for you, but that will be comin' up next. Farewell (how did fair-well become farewell?) Happy Friday.

1 comment:

  1. too much psychology mumbo jumbo talk. I hate psychologists and psychiatrists and LCSW and anyone else who asks me to talk about my fEEEEELINGS.

    ReplyDelete